We have almost entered in an era where applications monitor our lives. Starting from a primary BP machine to conventional angiography, we depend upon application and digital devices. This makes testing of healthcare mobile apps more crucial than ever.
Healthcare is a scalable field where no one can take the risk of error as a single mistake can put multiple lives at stake. That's the reason why testing of healthcare applications & health care devices are stringent where there should be no room for error.
According to Grand View Research, the digital healthcare market values over $95.8 Billion globally back in 2018. In the current scenario, the growth rate of the sector is pouncing at the rate of 27.7% annually. It is excepted that by the time we’ll reach 2025, the healthcare sector will be thrice or maybe four times the current value. These figures clearly show that the demand for remote monitoring devices is skyrocketing.
Testing Healthcare Mobile Apps
Performance Testing of Healthcare Application
Before preparing test scenarios certain requirements of the system should be considered. For example, health-care providers (Doctors/Hospitals) provide care 24/7, so the patient check-in software needs to be available at all times. Also, it needs to communicate with insurance companies to validate policy information, send claims and receive remittances. Here, the architecture should define the different components of the system, the protocol to communicate with insurance companies, and how to deploy the system so that it complies 24/7.
Other Testing Types Applicable to Healthcare
- Functional Testing: Testing healthcare application against functional capabilities.
- Conformance Testing: Conformance test Healthcare security requisites and industry frameworks.
- Platform Testing: Testing of applications on the Mobile platform and application testing for cross-browser compatibility.
- Interoperability Testing: Testing conformance to interoperability standards.
[Related Read: Role of Software Testing in Healthcare Industry]
Challenges In Testing Healthcare
- It requires expertise in testing, and usually, it is high in cost.
- Testing should be done keeping in mind the safety and regulatory standards- as any error can cause a direct effect on a patient's life.
- Testing team needs to be well aware of the various functionalities, clinical usage, and the environment the software will be used for.
- Cross dependency of software- testers need to ensure that any changes in one component or layer should not lead to side effects on the other.
Useful Tips For Healthcare Testing
Check out the list of the useful tips that can be considered while testing healthcare mobile apps:
- Dates are important and need to be accurate
- While designing test cases consider various parameters like different types of plan, brokers, members, commission, etc.
- Complete knowledge of the domain is required
Benefits of Mobile Devices in Healthcare
- Better point-of-care coordination
- Seamless data flow
- Direct patient management
- Enhances physician efficiency
- Provides convenience
- Real-time communication
Healthcare Device Testing
- While health-care device software is not the direct concern of patient, they also require rigorous testing like another software testing. Machines that are controlled by software programs should be tested well because any testing error in software can lead to a serious effect on the patient.
- FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has guidelines for mobile and web applications for medical devices. While testing medical devices the proper functional Test Plan is the part of FDA guidelines. The results are collected and reported to FDA. This process ensures that the device meets the standard of the regulatory bodies.