Performance testing on mobile applications is a type of testing performed to evaluate the performance of a mobile application. It measures responsiveness, Speed, Scalability, Stability with different load conditions.
There are available performance testing tools for mobile applications to ensure that applications are working as expected with different load conditions.
If applications go live without the application of mobile application performance testing tools, it may cause the system to run slow while multiple users using the applications will face usability problems.
Different Types of Mobile Application Performance Testing:
1) Load Testing on Mobile App:
Load testing in performance testing services is meant to test the system constantly and steadily by increasing the load on the system till the time it reaches the threshold limit.
2) Stress Testing on Mobile App:
Stress testing is a type of mobile app performance testing approach focused on determining an application's robustness, availability, and reliability under extreme conditions. The main purpose of this process is to make sure that the system fails and recovers gracefully.
3) Volume Testing on Mobile App:
Volume testing is a type of performance testing to test software applications with a large amount of data and then test the application's performance on it.
The basic workflow to test the performance of mobile applications consists of:
- Server Conditions: It consists of load on server, workload.
- Network Conditions: It consists of network load, network signal, network type.
- Device Conditions: It contains platform type, device type and application type.
When data traffic flow in mobile applications occur there are some obstructions in the system that degrade overall performance. This occurs when coding errors or hardware issues cause a decrease throughout under certain loads.
So based on the above workflow, the tester has to monitor the below-mentioned things to measure the accurate performance of an application. Following are the mobile app performance benchmarks:
1. Load, CPU usage, Packets sent/received under server part
2. Throughput, Hits per second, Transaction per second
3. Response time under device condition
4. Packet loss, average delay under n/w conditions
5. Network Usage
6. Memory usage, Memory leakage
For performance testing, there are a number of mobile application load testing tools that are available in the market to analyze the above-mentioned parameters of an application to measure the accurate performance of applications.
How will you perform Performance testing for a Mobile Application:
When setting up a test environment for testing the mobile app performance, you need to-
- Have a better understanding of the mobile app which is being tested.
- Identify all the different OS on which your app will be running.
- Build a robust test setup
# Build simulators
# Create a prototype of the actual setup
- Carefully choose the appropriate tool for performance testing.
Mobile App Performance Testing Checklist You Don’t Want To Miss:
A checklist that will help you in tracking the progress of your testing procedure,
- What is the minimum RAM requirement for the mobile app?
- Verify response time and speed of the mobile app under diverse networks and circumstances.
- Test to ensure realistic user experience under different circumstances and networks.
- Make sure that the app doesn’t crash anymore.
- Monitor the uptime constantly and API Usage.
Here are some tools to analyze the above-mentioned parameters of Applications:
# Blaze Meter:
Blaze Meter is a commercial, self-service performance testing tool used by any software testing company that provides enterprise performance testing and capacity planning. This tool can be used to find and fix performance bottlenecks in minutes.
Blaze Meter's load testing platform has built-in integrations that can be extended with a series of custom plug-ins. Blaze Meter currently provides a free plug-in for mobile app performance testing using J-Meter for load testing.
# Apache JMeter:
JMeter is a performance testing tool. It an open-source and pure Java tool designed for the performance measurement of web and mobile applications. It provides graphs and visualization techniques to analyze the results as well.
JMeter is software that can perform load tests, performance-oriented business (functional) tests, regression tests on different protocols or technologies being a versatile tool.
It provides handy features to prepare and run our mobile-specific performance test scripts.