When it comes to the necessity of a Framework for Automation, the need could be explained by saying that to enhance the cost efficiency and time efficiency of your software product, creating or choosing the perfect Framework improves the entire process of working on automation scripts. In simple words, Framework provides complete management to your automation work and delivers to you the best quality when you need to launch the premium products in the market.
In this blog, we will try to highlight the entire concept of test automation frameworks in detail while defining its need, types, process, and benefits.
What is Test Automation Framework?
Coming to the definition, the test automation framework is guidelines for developing test cases that allow testers to use resources in an efficient manner. Also, a framework brings a set of rules into the project that allows testers to achieve desired results in a systematic manner.
In broader terms, a test automation framework is a set of processes, techniques, and tools that helps to automate the test process for a software or application. Moreover, an automated test framework is an integrated platform made by collaborating several hardware, software, and tools that can satisfy the qualified assumptions. Automation test framework not only aids in the efficient development of test scripts but helps get rid of any errors that can affect the outcome of the product under test.
The most significant objectives of software testing automation frameworks can be defining the use of objects in the test scripts to achieve the expected results. All in all, the testing framework is an execution environment for automated tests that revolve around assumptions and practices that help simplify the entire process of automated testing.
Why Do We Need Framework for Test Automation?
The simplistic answer for this is to get maximum efficiency and to utilize the resources in a complete way. Let us first discuss why we automate our software product.
Automation Testing is necessary to save the rework in regression testing and for saving the time to fill multiple page lengthy forms. By automating our products, we can be assured of its already fixed functionality and also merge modules to skip the execution time of a process.
While planning for the Automation of a software product, its framework design is as necessary as while building a shopping mall, its blueprint is necessary. What should be the entry and exit criteria, what should be the main functionality, and what should be the risks while creating a shopping mall are the mandatory considerations while planning for a shopping mall.
In the same way, for the Automation of a Software product, its Framework is mandatory and needs to be well-planned and well-executed to achieve the best-case scenario.
Framework design needs to collect and specify all the requirements that are mandatory for automating a software product. The requirements should be analyzed and frozen on the basis of their feasibility. There may be a possibility that some of the requirements cannot be automated, and no framework can be created for these requirements.
Let us consider a web page that has a form submission with 25 fields in which 20 fields are mandatory. Before submitting, the website asks to submit a captcha code that is randomly generated; in the current condition, we cannot automate the webpage as a framework for a captcha code cannot be created.
So, the feasibility of Automation for software code plays an important role in creating frameworks for a software product.
What Is the Role of Test Automation Framework for Enterprises?
When it comes to the use of test automation frameworks for an enterprise that is associated with software development or needs Quality Assurance services to aid internal operations, automation testing services play an important role in streamlining the technical aspects and functionalities of the software.
From enhancing the efficiency of the software to the development process, automation testing allows rapid reuse of test components while aiding the structure of the application. On top of that, automation test frameworks bring uniformity to the design for various test scripts simplifying the test cases and overall dependency.
Some of the additional roles that automation test frameworks play in the development and testing process include:
Reliable issue detection with root-cause analysis without any human interference
Automating the test selection and execution
Improved test dynamics allowing a smoother change in test strategy for varying test conditions
Better use of resources and added productivity
Little to no human intervention is required to ensure uninterrupted testing.
Different Types of Frameworks Used in Automation Testing
Some of the most common testing frameworks used in automated testing include:
- Linear Scripting Framework: Based on the record and playback concept, it is a linear practice where test scripts are developed and executed individually. Mostly used by enterprises in the initial stage of adopting automation testing, the Framework is implemented in an incremental manner while adding each new interaction to the automation tests.
- Modular Test Framework: Modular testing framework is based on abstraction where independent test scripts are developed while an abstraction layer is made for components to be hidden. This is done on purpose to ensure any changes made to the application do not affect underlying components.
- Data-driven Test Framework: This type of Framework works in a tabular format that stores both input and expected output as a single driver script is used to execute multiple data sets and test cases. The type of Framework contains scripts that aid navigation through the program for data files and test status log.
- Keyword-Driven Test Framework: It is more an application-independent framework where keywords and data tables define the actions performed on the application under test. At times, it is also recognized as an extension of the data-driven testing framework.
- Hybrid Test Framework: Hybrid test framework is a combined approach that uses modular, data-driven, and keyword-driven frameworks where multiple end-to-end testing practices are implemented.
- Test-Driven Development Framework: This technique is implemented to fasten the design process by separating it from dependencies. The approach helps to improve the rapidity of testing and overall confidence of meeting requirements compared to traditional testing.
- Behavior-Driven Development Framework: Driven from Test-driven Development, this approach is highly focused on tracking the behavior of the application using simple English-based test-cases assisting even the non-technical people to understand and analyze test cases well.
Process For an Effective Test Automation Approach
If it is something that determines the success of an automation test, it is nothing else than an effective test automation approach that has a well-defined process. Though most enterprises have their own approach of handling QA automation frameworks, developing an impactful process needs testers and developers to focus on the below-mentioned points:
To evaluate the application type for the right implementation of automation testing frameworks.
To highlight the goals and priorities of automating the application testing.
To have a thorough plan for automated test strategy.
To select the right test tools and frameworks that align well with requirements.
To have a clear idea of test cases that must be automated.
To have good quality and effective test data.
To develop test cases that can effectively manage UI changes.
To execute the test from developed test scripts.
To test early and often using CI/CD pipeline.
Major Benefits of Using Test Automation Frameworks
Test Automation Frameworks are beneficial to understand the cost estimation and time needed for creating the automation script. If you have created frameworks for your Software product, then it would be easy for a new member to your team and would also be easy if you handed over the work to other team members.
A framework provides the coders with the complete path to track the Automation of a test suite.
Framework is also beneficial to understand the communication between various modules and utilities of a software project.
By working with frameworks can also minimize the risk of missing any script for Automation as your organization is bound to work on a lightly drawn path.
The framework also provides the enhancement to an existing system, i.e., one can test future enhancements by simply adding new requirements validation to the existing frameworks.
A framework is also helpful in reducing the duplicate test suite as well as writing effective test cases.
- Modularity Benefits: When you use an automated framework, all your mountain tasks are divided into small rocks, which make the testing process bliss. You can easily manage them when they are all on a list.
- Improved Cost & Maintenance: When it comes to Automation, maintenance is a herculean task here. There is no way that you can demand more changes from the client in the requirement. Automated test framework gives you an in-detail structure that helps you in cost controlling, test data, page objects, and reporting structure, etc.
- Easy Reporting: Who doesn’t love automated reporting??? Nobody!!! When you opt for an automation test framework, reporting becomes bliss for your testers. It will ensure a user-friendly interface and sleek reporting options.
Intelligent And Easy-to-use Test Automation Frameworks
Since it is only the right choice of test automation framework that defines the success of your software testing project, it is vital that you must rely on a professional solution. We at BugRaptors introduce you to our very own innovations that are made to simplify all your test automation needs related to the mobile application and web-oriented testing.
MoboRaptors is our proprietary mobile app automation framework that is based on selenium and Appium while processing a combination of different frameworks, including Modular, Data-Driven, and Behavior-Driven Framework.
Made to leverage robust mobile solutions
More accurate and faster testing
Rapidly process functional and regression Automation
MoboRaptors is a highly customized solution made to create a mobile-friendly user experience for users across different platforms, including Android, iOS, or Hybrid apps. Some of the other benefits of MoboRaptors can be listed as
At BugRaptors, we rely on our very own web test automation framework designed to empower the user experience along with overall browsing quality, functions, and features. It is also a hybrid test automation framework that can be customized to meet the unique user requirements offering a combination of modular-driven, keyword-driven, data-driven, and behavior-driven Frameworks.
Based on the project size and the testing requirements, the Framework can be customized using a combination of technologies. RaptorVista is made to offer a pleasing user experience and simplify the entire task of testing.
If you are looking for some expert assistance with test automation services or need to collaborate for leading your mobile or web solution testing using the most advanced test automation frameworks, consider having a quick consultation call with our experts at BugRaptors.
For more information, connect us through firstname.lastname@example.org