15 years ago Microsoft introduced SharePoint Package which turned out to be the most successful enterprise product. SharePoint is a content management system with intranet-enabled document library that enables work collaboration capabilities. Most of the Fortune-100 companies leverage the power of SharePoint. With such utility, SharePoint is expected to be high on demand.
Developing new applications with the SharePoint framework is very easy however, SharePoint application testing is paramount to ensure a better quality application.
Plan Before You Proceed To Testing Procedure
It is very important to plan out the procedure before starting the testing to make sure that the testing process is smooth. You’ll first have to define the testing purpose to the project team. You have to make a list of documents that will be included in the testing process. In addition to that, you must have a list that mentioned all the relevant access rights, business policies, and other requirements for data protection.
Define the servers and networks to be used for the testing environment, also mention the list of monitoring and reporting tools too. You also need to define the expected outcomes and the success threshold. Let’s get a deeper understanding of SharePoint Testing.
SharePoint Testing Best Practices
There are various important steps when it comes to SharePoint testing. Let’s break it down for better understanding.
Set The Testing Goals
The foremost thing in a lost testing project is formulating the exact performance requirements. As per your goals of SharePoint performance tests, you’ll have to measure and validate numerous performance parameters. You need to be careful about the custom-developed components as they generally add most prominent problems to the system operation.
Organize The Testing Environment
In some cases, it might be impossible for testing the production version of your system. So, you must create a copy of it, which must be configured to the production copy closely. It means that you must clone not only the SharePoint server farm but also the SQL server and all the supporting services. You must include the load balancer as well, if you have one.
Choose the typical user sessions carefully you are going to use in the test, don’t try covering all the paths in your application. You must emphasize on the validation of the page content and insert auto checks for confirming that significant steps end up in correct server responses.
Go For Load Generation Components
You must go for proper software and hardware components for the test load generation. You need to check the capacity of a single load agent for your specific test, increase the load while all other system resources (like CPU, network usage percentage, and memory) are below critical values. After the maximum load per unit gets determined, then you must plan the number of generating units you require for the entire test.
SharePoint Testing Checklist
Once you are done with the testing process, you’ll get numerous charts and numbers in the report. There will be a few things you must check for every test right after running it, so here is the checklist you must follow while working upon the SharePoint testing tools.
1. All the user sessions executed in the test must be emulated properly. If you find multiple sessions fail at the same request, you must research this in the logs. One more issue that might invalidate results is the performance of the testing environment. You need to check the CPU and network usage levels need to be below 100% during the test.
2. The error rate must be at an acceptable level i.e. below 1%. You must analyze error rate for particular pages like in case the error rate for search requests is greater than for other transactions, you might need to analyze the database performance.
3. Usually, response time increases with increasing speed. You need to regularly check that the average time for every test period must remain below the target value. Don’t address very short periods with countable responses, because this data might be misleading or occasional. You must check average response time for every page request as it comprises of static calls that might be processed very fast.
4. The number of processed requests and completed sessions every second is a significant aspect indicating the general system capacity. In normal system operation, it must change in line with the increasing test load. If you find it is becoming constant, it indicates that the system has reached its performance limit. For checking the network and web server capacity, it is necessary to check the amount of uploaded and downloaded data.
5. At the end, you must take a glance at the values of performance encounters for specific servers, it will enable you to identify the weak components of the system.
SharePoint testing will need a great share of planning and careful consideration. The capacities of programs will get balanced by the requirement to pay attention to every single detail and ensure compatibility amongst components and versions. This way, every business owner can expect high-quality, accurate, productive outputs and a great user experience.