HP Unified Functional Testing is a functional testing tool that integrates the features of various other HP products (Quickest Professional, WinRunner, and HP Service Test). Functional tests are automated by recording the actions of a user on the application or system under test. Scripts are used to store the recorded actions in UFT. Scripts can be displayed in UFT in two ways either as a Visual Basic Script (VB Script) program (expert view), or as a sequence of steps labelled by icons (keyword view). With the help of HP UFT we can test the success or failure of any step by using a checkpoint which compares the actual result produced by the system under test during execution with the expected results stored in UFT at the time of recording.
Why HP Unified Functional Testing is useful?
- Functional tests are carried out automatically to increase the speed and cost-effectiveness of application development and delivery.
- Initially, little effort is required to record and configure a script. Later on, the script can be used and run again and again to verify the functionality of an application under test.
- This results in saving a lot of time and money over manual testing.
- This tool is very useful in case of regression testing when tests are executed again and again to check whether the existing functionalities are still working fine.
- Long term projects having regular release cycles, a set of UFT tests can be created for regression testing.
- With each release, a regression pack is run to check the existing functionality. Meanwhile, the QA team will be able to focus on manual tests of the new functionality or creating new UFT scripts to test it.
- The regression pack will execute faster than manual and can also be set to run out of hours.
Features of HP UFT
UFT tool supports recording of every mouse movement, click and keypress. It also supports other types of recordings such as drawing programs, flash animations and programs whose internal design does not make use of objects to represent on-screen controls.
2. Object recognition:
UFT supports object recognition of objects which are embedded in another, such as an ActiveX or Java component embedded in a browser.
UFT testing tool determines whether a test is passed or failed with the help of checkpoints. Checkpoint compares the actual result of the application under test with the expected results. If the actual result matches with the expected result, the check passes; if it does not, the check fails. The pass or fail is recorded in the result of the test.
4. Movie playback:
HP Unified Functional Testing provides a solution which allows playback to be viewed as an animation. This is useful for debugging. With the use of animations, a tester can see exactly what actions were performed on the system by UFT and exactly how the system reacted.
HP UFT automation also provides concurrent licenses to organizations. A concurrent license allows UFT to be installed on several different machines but limits the number that may run UFT at any one time to the number of licenses purchased.
6. Wide range of Add-ins that supports multiple platform applications
With HP UFT on your side, you can easily include an extensive range of add-ins that supports multiple platform applications such as iOS, Android and Web-based.
7. HP UFT = HP QTP + HP Service Test
Unified Function testing includes all the features of HP QTP and service test. The integrated HP UFT helps the developers and tester in testing all the three layers of the software testing. These three layers are the Interface layer, the database layer, and the service layer.
8. HP UFT is faster than You Think
As the UFT is smaller than its previous version, that makes it faster than every other version. The installation process is more secure and lighting fast. It also facilitates you to install an add-in for ALM and Run Result Viewer with the installation package. There is no need to install a different language package.
9. The New Canvas
The Canvas of UFT is pretty new. It is basically a test flow pane that displays all the functioning of test scripts that happens during the testing process in graphical form.
Advantages of UFT over QTP
1. Supports both GUI and API testing:
UFT includes all features of QTP and service test. QTP supports only GUI testing while UFT supports both GUI and API testing.
2. Browsers supported:
UFT supports Internet Explorer v6 - v11, Firefox v3.0 - v3, Google Chrome v12 - v35, and Apple Safari (on remote Mac PC) v6, v6.10, v7.00 while QTP supports Internet Explorer, Google Chrome till v36, and Firebox browsers.
3. OS supported by QTP and UFT:
UFT test tool runs on Windows XP/Vista/2003/7/8/8.1 and Windows Server 2008/Windows Server 2012 R2. QTP runs on Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 and Windows Server 2008.
4. UFT Installation is faster and secure than QTP:
UFT installation process is fast, secure and takes very little time. Also, UFT provides an option to install an add-in for ALM and the Run Result Viewer with the installation package. During installation, it automatically installs all the necessary tools and add-ins which are required to run UFT automation.
5. New Canvas of UFT:
The canvas of UFT is a Test Flow pane that displays all the functions of the test scripts in graphical form. It also supports running, debugging and calling the existing actions.
6. INSIGHT Recording:
It is an object reorganization technique that makes recording easier by adding a recording toolbar. It also provides support for recognizing objects of those applications which are running on the remote systems.