Performance testing is type of testing performed to evaluate the performance of an applications. It measures the responsiveness, Speed, Scalability, Stability with different load conditions.
Performance testing of applications is done to ensure that applications they are working as expected with different load conditions.
If applications goes live without performance testing, it may cause the system to run slow while multiple users using the applications will face usability problem.
Different Types of Performance Testing:
1) Load Testing: Load testing is meant to test the system by constantly and steadily by increasing the load on the system till the time it reaches the threshold limit.
2) Stress Testing: Stress testing is a type of performance testing focused on determining an application's robustness, availability, and reliability under extreme conditions.
The main purpose of this process is to make sure that the system fails and recovers gracefully.
3) Volume Testing: Volume testing is a type of performance testing to test software applications with a large amount of data and then test the application's performance on it.
The basic work flow to test the Performance of Mobile Applications consists of:
Server Conditions: It consists of load on server, workload.
Network Conditions: It consists network load, network signal, network type.
Device Conditions: It contains platform type, device type and application type.
When data traffic flow in mobile applications occur there are some obstructions in the system that degrade overall performance.
This occur when coding errors or hardware issues cause a decrease of throughout under certain loads.So based on the above work flow, tester have to monitor the below mentioned things to measure the accurate performance of an applications:
1. Load, CPU usage, Packets sent/received under server part
2. Throughput, Hits per second, Transaction per second
3. Response time under device condition
4. Packet loss, average delay under n/w conditions
5. Network Usage
6. Memory usage, Memory leakage
For performance testing, there are number of tools that are available in the market to analyze the above mentioned parameters of an applications to measure the accurate performance of applications.
Here are some tools to analyze the above mentioned parameters of Applications:
# Blaze Meter: Blaze Meter is a commercial, self-service performance testing tool that provides an enterprise performance testing and capacity planning .
This tool can be used to find and fix performance bottlenecks in minutes.
Blaze Meter's load testing platform has built-in integrations that can be extended with a series of custom plug-ins.
Blaze Meter currently provides a free plug-in to J-Meter for load testing.
# Apache JMeter: JMeter is a performance testing tool. It an open source and pure Java tool designed for the performance measurement of web and mobile applications.
It provides graphs and visualization techniques to analyze the results as well.
JMeter is software that can perform load test, performance-oriented business (functional) test, regression test on different protocols or technologies being a versatile tool.
It provides handy features to prepare and run our mobile specific performance test scripts.