Why is Mobile Testing Important? In this newfangled era, usability and dependency of the smartphones have expanded. Mobile testing has become...Read More
Internet of Things (IoT) permits the user to control the devices that are installed at the remote sites through a network. With IoT, we can connect devices other than computers such as home appliances, vehicles which contains electronics, software, actuators and connectivity to other devices using embedded sensors, processors and communication hardware. We can say that IoT (Internet of Things) means to connect the gadgets (physical devices) with the network.
IoT has great importance nowadays as we can collect information from a different platform and share the same across the internet which is processed for different purposes. IoT provides real-time information which was not approachable earlier.
Under IoT, we can connect multiple devices with the network and may share the information through the IoT cloud and complete several valuable tasks. The main motive of IoT devices is to connect with other devices to transmit information using internet transfer protocols.
Today there is an increasing need to deliver improved and faster services. There is a great demand to access, create, use and share data from any device. It’s the main reason is to provide greater insight and control, over various interconnected IoT devices. That is why the IoT testing framework is essential.
Nowadays, so many devices of different shape and form factors are used by the users, and their perception also varies from one user to another. So checking the usability of the system is very crucial in IoT testing. Usability in terms of processing and displaying data or pushing job tasks from the devices should be tested thoroughly and need to make sure the usability of each of the device used.
Under IoT, there can be multiple Architectures, some can be simple, and some can be complex. So, it’s essential to test the compatibility of the numerous operating versions, browser types, and respective versions, generations of devices, communication modes. It’s all about validating the possible working combination.
As a result, checking the compatibility in the IoT system is essential.
Reliability and Scalability are vital for building an IoT test environment which involves simulation of sensors by utilizing virtualization tools and technologies.
If the technology is neither scalable nor reliable, then it is not of much use. Therefore, at BugRaptors, we use a simulation of sensors to build a test environment and test reliability and scalability of the IoT development.
Security is one of the main aspects that enterprises are concerned about while implementing IoT. We need some control of the connected devices. Otherwise, they could affect the overall functioning and leak sensitive data from the system. So, the security of the IoT should be taken seriously.
Following points should be considered while checking for the security of the IoT:
During the performance testing, testers need to consider a few aspects like Network latency and Its Bandwidth, packet loss, a huge number of simultaneous users, etc. because these factors impact performance is much greater. QA members must carefully examine network activity, taking an especially long look at how quickly data can be moved from one network layer to another. The points to be considered while checking the Usability are Simulation, Scale, Amount of Data, Protocols, Requests/ Responses and BI (which is used to test the performance by applying a load to the IoT devices).
While testing the IoT Architecture following challenges can be faced by the tester:
1. Test Data- To get the obtain test data among different systems, organization among multiple teams and Substantial effort is required.
2. Test Environment- It is not easy to replicate the environment required for IoT testing and demands too much effort and expense.
3. The dependency of components- The subsystems, sub-components, and services that are interrelated are possessed by various groups and third-party units. If the user is unable to access a single dependent sub-component, it could affect the testing of the whole system.
4. Unavailability of Hardware- Device which is available for testing might be of insufficient capability or is not available at the right time.
5. Sensor quality and accuracy- Gadget or Device under test may not be of good quality or have the correct accuracy needed for testing.
6. Compatibility Issues- Different IoT Cloud platforms are used, and it is difficult to find compatibility of different devices.
7. Complexity- IoT Architecture is not easy sometimes, and it’s difficult to understand its complexity.
8. Connectivity issues- IoT is a network and there can be multiple issues regarding connectivity.
9. Security/Privacy issues- Security and privacy is the main concern for the enterprises which can be difficult to test in complex architecture.
IoT testing challenge robust testing competence to meet the requirement. By accepting actual best practices, the user can effectively perform IoT testing.
1. QA should go for the best approach for testing and practices the same efficiently. All the testing techniques should be used on the base of the requirement, and there should be good communication as that would be the basis of quality product.
2. Amount of data transfer is huge in the IoT, and there are new platforms which ensure effective communication and to efficiently obtain valid info from huge amounts of raw data. This will confirm good timing and systems framework to back the real-time applications. QA testing team may use tools, consoles, viewers, and simulators to confirm successful implementation of the project.
3. To design good test cases QA testing team a need to have a good knowledge of architecture, the OS, hardware, applications, protocols, and defects of hardware devices.
4. Backend functionalities should be tested using usual testing methods, tools and approaches as if mainstream functionality is dependent on the strong backend.
IoT is here to stay. Anybody cannot neglect it. The next couple of decades will see the tremendous impact of the Internet of Things. It has been around for years but is rapidly developing the market, similarly it will make a lot of impact on future of IoT testing as well.
There is a big number of devices and software used in the IoT and its count increasing very quickly day by day. So more testing and testers would be required to find the issues in the IoT software. As per the research, IoT testers may face the problems with the test strategies and planning so we provide some recommendations and the sample test cases. A list providing by our team is not complete or wide-ranging but it well gets you a brief idea how to proceed with the IoT testing.