The software testing community has come through many interesting trends through the year 2017. These trends mainly include the newly introduced practi...Read More
In Today’s scenario, organizations have various numbers of applications that need to be tested across multiple platforms, operating systems, and device types. It becomes very chaotic to maintain variety of mobile phones and tablets with the latest Android or iOS updates available across all makes and models for 24/7. There are various security concerns that arise for mobile cloud testing as well as data management and accessibility thus creating a complex situation. So there is a need for a single piece of testing equipment which can solve various problems such as maintaining infrastructure which can provide security to all the devices in a test lab and process through which we can manage device accessibility to globally distributed team members.
Challenges in setting Cloud based Mobile Device Labs: The difficulties associated with such varying functionalities among applications cannot be an easy task to maintain. There are a large number of network and carrier combinations. Below are some examples:
i) Diversity in devices: There are a large number of network-and-carrier combinations, dynamic OEM, devices and OS combinations available in the market.
ii) Platform challenges: Frequent platform updates and releases, customization of platforms by OEMs.
iii) Technological challenges: Diverse technologies of app development, frequent oscillations of usage between native, Web and hybrid technologies; emergence of responsive Web technologies.
iv) Network challenges: Multiple network types (e.g., GSM, GPRS, Wi-Fi, Wi-Max); different speeds of connectivity across geographies, multiple network operators with customized network features.
v) Challenges in hardware: Speed variations, differences in mobile memory size and device communication protocols such as HTTP, WAP.
vi) Parallel automation: Automated test execution across multiple devices and platforms for increased ROI.
vii) Continuous integration(CI): Daily execution of automated scenarios in Agile and CI environments.
How Cloud-Based Mobile Device Lab helps in Organization Growth?
1. Faster market delivery: A unified environment needs to be established for the benefit of all DevOps teams. For fully operational regression testing, environment is necessary in order to facilitate continuous integration.
2. Simulate networks environment: By using simulation environments helps us to understand real life network conditions, thus enabling them to be prepared in dealing with network issues.
3. Strict security guidelines: An offshore hosted mobile lab is expected to support most security requirements while the onsite lab resides inside the company’s VPN. Devices are centralized in a demilitarized network area. Administrative capabilities enable the changing of security policies as per project requirements.
4. Best functionality and performance: In order to guarantee high performance and flawless functionality, test coverage must be maximized and risks ought to be minimized. To enhance quality testing needs to be carried out across various device, platforms, versions, and screen resolutions and among varying network conditions, carriers and servers.
5. Scalability: Scalability of the enterprise is calculated by the number of mobile devices in a laboratory Initially starting with around 25 devices, the number of devices can be greatly increased over a period of time. Assigning of QA to any particular mobile devices also becomes a much simpler task as the lab provides efficient project management capabilities.
6. Faster ROI: Mobile device labs also ensure a quicker return-on-investment with the establishment of off-shore model. Maintenance cost and device cost can be reduced significantly by setting up a mobile device lab. The regression automation testing in the mobile device lab also helps in ensuring utilization of devices is high.
How can we help?
BugRaptors mobile device laboratory is powered by Cloud tool which offers two distinct types of mobile device labs:
i) Onshore mobile device lab
ii) Offshore hosted mobile device lab
Onshore mobile device lab: This type of lab offers our customers to procure and maintain the devices in a lab which resides within the company’s private network which ensures maximum security without any third-party dependencies.
Offshore hosted mobile device lab: Hosted by a service provider which ensures end-to-end solution. It also enables quick access to a dedicated device in a secure environment.