HP Unified Functional Testing is a functional testing tool that integrates the features of various other HP products (Quickest Professional, WinRunner, and HP Service Test). Functional tests are automated by recording the actions of a user on the application or system under test. Scripts are used to store the recorded actions in UFT. Scripts can be displayed in UFT in two ways either as a Visual Basic Script (VB Script) program (expert view), or as a sequence of steps labeled by icons (keyword view). With the help of UFT we can test the success or failure of any step by using checkpoint which compares the actual result produced by the system under test during execution with the expected results stored in UFT at the time of recording.
Why HP Unified Functional Testing is useful?
- Functional tests are carried out automatically to increase the speed and cost effectiveness of application development and delivery.
- Initially, little effort is required to record and configure a script. Later on, the script can be used and run again and again to verify the functionality of an application under test.
- This results in saving a lot of time and money over manual testing.
- This tool is very useful in case of regression testing when tests are executed again and again to check whether the existing functionalities are still working fine.
- Long term projects having regular release cycles, a set of UFT tests can be created for regression testing.
- With each release, regression pack is run to check the existing functionality. Meanwhile the QA team will be able to focus on manual tests of the new functionality or creating new UFT scripts to test it.
- The regression pack will execute faster than manual and can also be set to run out of hours.
Features of HP UFT
1. Recording: UFT supports recording of every mouse movement, clicks and key press. It also supports other types of recordings such as drawing programs, flash animations and programs whose internal design does not make use of objects to represent on-screen controls.
2. Object recognition: UFT supports object recognition of objects which are embedded in another, such as an ActiveX or Java component embedded in a browser.
3. Checkpoints: UFT determines whether a test is passed or failed with the help of checkpoints. Checkpoint compares the actual result of the application under test with the expected results. If the actual result matches with the expected result, the check passes; if it does not, the check fails. The pass or fail is recorded in the result of the test.
4. Movie playback: HP Unified Functional Testing provides solution which allows playback to be viewed as an animation. This is useful for debugging. With the use of animations, a tester can see exactly what actions were performed on the system by UFT and exactly how the system reacted.
5. Licensing: HP UFT also provides concurrent license to the organizations. A concurrent license allows UFT to be installed on several different machines, but limits the number that may run UFT at any one time to the number of licenses purchased.
Advantages of UFT over QTP
1. Supports both GUI and API testing: UFT includes all features of QTP and service test. QTP supports only GUI testing while UFT supports both GUI and API testing.
2. Browsers supported: UFT supports Internet Explorer v6 - v11, Firefox v3.0 - v3, Google Chrome v12 - v35, and Apple Safari (on remote Mac PC) v6, v6.10, v7.00 while QTP supports Internet Explorer, Google Chrome till v36, and Firebox browsers.
3. OS supported by QTP and UFT: UFT runs on Windows XP/Vista/2003/7/8/8.1 and Windows Server 2008/Windows Server 2012 R2. QTP runs on Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 and Windows Server 2008.
4. UFT Installation is faster and secure than QTP: UFT installation process is fast, secure and takes very less time. Also, UFT provides option to install add-in for ALM and the Run Result Viewer with the installation package. During installation, it automatically installs all the necessary tools and add-ins which are required to run UFT.
5. New Canvas of UFT: Canvas of UFT is a Test Flow pane which displays all the functions of the test scripts in graphical form. It also supports running, debugging and calling of the existing actions.
6. INSIGHT Recording: It is an object reorganization technique which makes recording easier by adding recording toolbar. It also provides support for recognizing objects of those applications which are running on remote system.